FILLER TEXT The Greensburg Volunteer Fire Department was organized on January 12, 1891 and included Hose Company #1 and Hose Company #2. The City's original firefighting equipment consisted of two hose carts and leather fire buckets.
In 1894, Greensburg Fire Department acquired its first hand-pumper, the Pat Lyon, when it annexed the Boro of Bunker Hill. At that time, the Pat Lyon Hose Company, named after its hand-pumper, became Greensburg Hose Company #3.
The City annexed the Boro of Ludwig in 1896 and at that time obtained their second hand-pumper, the Goodwill. Both of these hand-pumpers were purchased from the City of Pittsburgh after the "Great" fire in Pittsburgh in 1845.
The City also owned another hand-pumper, the Tuscarora, although it is not know exactly which company in the city owned it. Originally, all of the hand-pumpers were to be destroyed, although only the Tuscarora actually was. The City still has ownership of both the Pat Lyon and the Goodwill.
Presently, the Greensburg Volunteer Fire Department has a membership of 350 firefighters. Its firefighting equipment includes five fire engines, one ladder truck, three rescue trucks, two salvage units, and five additional pieces of specialized equipment.
The Greensburg Volunteer Fire Department was also privileged to have one of its members serve as the Pennsylvania State Fire Commissioner. Jack Simon, a member of Greensburg Hose Company #1, held this position from January 8, 1990 until April 30, 1995.